Saturday, June 20, 2009

Book Review

I am currently reading this little gem of a book; Birth Day by Mark Sloan given to me by my fabulous librairan. I have a very sweet understanding with my local librarian and friend. She orders books I request or thinks I will enjoy on the subject of childbirth and then puts them on hold for me to read. Sometimes when I am in the library with my children I will go up to the counter to check out our mound of books and the clerk will notify me that there is a book on hold for me that I wasn't even expecting! What a treat! It really pays to have a relationship with your librarian...they do work for you!
Anyway, when I first saw the cover of the book I thought, "No way am I going to like this...it is written by a pediatrician. How medical minded can you get?" But much to my surprise and like the saying goes, 'Never judge a book by its cover', I fell in love almost instantly! The book is so candid and the author really looks at all angles of every issue and withholds any judgment of superiority. He gives a wonderful history on cesarean sections, epidurals, Twilight sleep and current trends in childbirth, just to name a few. I am loving it all the way through and learning so much, too! I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in pregnancy and birth. A great summer read!

No comments: