Monday, May 31, 2010

The times they are a changin'...


The lazy days of summer are upon my household...finally, at last! This past school year I began it the way I always do; teaching elementary art part time and midwifing. In February, my school offered me a full time position. This forced me to turn down clientele and do less births. I was conflicted, to say the least, but financially it was the best decision for my family. Now, here I am at the end of that full time school year and looking forward to next fall again. I have a few births on the horizon but the due dates of these upcoming babies has to be right on time! When women call the first question I ask them these days is; "What is your due date?" hoping they will say it is during one of my many school breaks or holidays. Unfortunately, this is not always the case and I have had to turn down a few too many ladies this spring.
My heart is in midwifery and I cringe when I have to turn mothers away. I wish I could be doing more births this year, but alas, this isn't the case. I do love teaching my children and their friend's art at the local elementary school and the stress is much less than attending births, but nothing compares to that raw, life affirming experience that we call birth.
This summer I plan to take it easy, read several good books and spend time with my family. In the back of my mind will be sweet moments I have experienced with babies and mothers alike and I'm sure there will be some melancholy for those crazy, busy birthing days. As for now, I am in a different place career wise and hopefully it will only be temporary. Once a midwife, always a midwife.
As for this blog, I plan on writing about pertinent birth issues and keeping abreast of all that is going on in my community and abroad. Stay tuned and enjoy your summer! Thank you to all of you loyal readers! You make this all worthwhile!

No comments: