Friday, August 7, 2009

Still here...still doing the same things.

I had a wonderful visit with a client of mine yesterday whom I've helped deliver two of her babies and now she's pregnant with a new one and I'm honored to be her midwife, once again. She called me a few months ago when I thought I might take a hiatus from midwifery all together...I told her to give me a few days to decide if I would help her again...the next day I called her back and said, "YES!" I know, I know...the past few posts have been a roller coaster ride, so thanks for hanging on! They've been a mental ride for me because I was stressing over my title, my calling in life, my designated profession...when I should have just been enjoying the ride! UGH...midlife crisis, shall we say???! Perimenopause? What?

Anyway, the prenatal last evening with my dear friend and newly pregnant again Mom was absolutely rewarding and fabulous and when she left I thought to myself, "I love this...how could I ever say I was done with this? This is where my heart lies...this is what makes me tick. I am so invigorated!"

We talked about nutrition, varicose veins, supplements and heartburn and yet we connected as two women who know how stressful life can be. We connected when we told our stories and shed a few tears. I nodded knowingly and held the space for her to vent and give her the empathy she needed. It was therapeutic for both of us; a match made in heaven , I suppose. Just when I thought I had all of my future figured out...I'm still here doing the same things I've been doing for the past 12 1/2 years. I guess I'm destined to be a midwife, natural childbirth advocate, a part time elem. art teacher and a graduate student all at the same time. Isn't life wonderful?

No comments: